Pages

Friday, February 10, 2012

Evensong…….

For those not familiar with this term, it’s a service not unique, but common in Episcopal and Church of England communities. Almost everything is sung. There are very few spoken lines. The choir and cantor do most of the singing, but there are opportunities for the people in the pews to join in if they wish. There's typically wonderful organ voluntaries to inspire your soul. Many a composer has written music for this service. You will hear chanting and a good deal of Baroque music.

Yesterday evening, our little band of choir members sang an evensong service. It wasn’t much for the music critics, but quality music was selected and we wound our way through the rests and semi-quavers. For me, it was a wonderful way to end the day with singing and prayer. My soul was fed.

I had intended to test tat a version of an antique pattern afterward. I found myself quite at rest and peaceful. Almost too relaxed to pick up the shuttle. I eventually did and discovered the pattern within the pattern. That means I need to spend some time doing the math and writing down what I see before I pick up the shuttle. More later. Along with my choice of hearts for the potential class.

No comments:

Post a Comment