Tuesday, June 26, 2018

Frame it!

Remember this bead?
 I happily began tatting the final version of the necklace, when it happened. I just didn’t like the way it was coming together. The perfectionist in me just wasn’t satisfied!

It was spinning in the ring as I tatted back up to the top. I could just see the lace getting snagged as the necklace was handled. I could just see the necklace looking shabby if the bead spun in the ring as it was worn. I could just see I didn’t like it!

So, thank you to the many, many tatters who encouraged me, challenged me, and supported me. I decided what the bead needed was a framework. Thank you, Diane Cademartori, for inspiring me with your Ice Drops. I don’t consider myself a true designer. I just try to improvise standing on the shoulders of other wonderful tatters.

Here’s what I came up with:

framed from front
framed from back

I hope to carve out time the rest of the week to finish.

Friday, June 22, 2018

Bach Festival Art turned in

I turned in my tatted piece for the Festival Art Auction yesterday. The volunteers are always so positive about my efforts. I know it would be much easier to display only one type of medium. I know that “art” means paintings to most people. But, I have something to say.

Anyway, the consensus is that my piece will intrigue people, provide something new to look at, and perhaps entice people to buy a raffle ticket. The opening is July 10, 2018 in the Gallery at the Sunset Center. If you’d like an invitation, please contact someone….including me. Although I think most of my invitations are spoken for.

Pictures of the piece after the opening! And come buy a ticket to support the efforts to bring more music to more people and teach more kids!

Tuesday, June 19, 2018

Filigree bead

Look what I found in our local store.

 I’m so used to being disappointed with what I can buy locally; I seldom browse in our local craft store. But, I needed something to go with something I already had to make something. So, I hopped in the car (Not my typical mode of transportation lately with so much within walking distance.), promised myself a reward if I looked thoroughly (the pastry was yummy!), and braved the aisles. It came with a half dozen or so on a string, so I promptly played with some thread and beads to see what I liked.

I like it. More to come…..

Thursday, June 14, 2018

Card weaving band in candlewicking thread.

This is what I’ve produced using the tablets:

It’s just a simple band; nothing fancy. I used Candlewicking thread I’ve had for ages. The colors just looked nice and I was able to follow the warping directions easily.

Now to find a use for the sturdy strap.

Tuesday, June 12, 2018


I’ve been doing some interesting reading lately. Remember my idea to take the analysis of a composition and express it in thread? Well, I knew I wasn’t the first to come up with that idea. Particularly among those who weave. Seems there is quite a draw for the idea. Several publications have produced material about the idea. So, I’ve been reading and thinking. The good news is that I have a better grasp of music and design than I thought I did. The bad news is there are still not enough hours in the day to explore the ideas, work as an organist, and oh yeah, keep up the house and garden. Sigh.

Perhaps I'll have some pictures after the weekend.

Thursday, June 7, 2018

And another mistake

Well, I didn’t have enough thread. I used the shortcoming in my shuttle winding to demonstrate how I add in thread. There are quite a few ways, but I like to use a weaver’s knot at the base of a ring or chain and hide ends in the elements on either side. That leaves an extra bump and sometimes the stitches are a smidge fatter over the ends, but then I have less chance of the knot fiasco on round 2. My preference. Again, no pictures until after the Auction closes.

Tuesday, June 5, 2018

Back to Sonata

The final piece is coming along. I can’t say well.....just coming along. I find working in black size 80 thread is tough. The best part: it doesn’t show dirt and dust. Size 80. It's just tough for me to work with. I didn’t get a knot firmly tied in round 2 of the edging. That resulted in a chain coming loose. I think I have that corrected with some Fray-Check. Not my preference, but I’m running out of time! I realized while out on a walk Saturday that I did not correctly load the beads for round 4. Black thread is tough. One bead in each repeat (of the size 15 beads on the size 80 thread) should be a bead join, not a bead picot. Nothin’ for it but to take all those itty-bitty beads off and rethread them. Sigh! I think I’m ready to finish round 3 now. I hope I have enough thread on the shuttle…..