Pages

Thursday, October 10, 2019

What's in a role?


I know I’m not the greatest speller. I usually was sitting down in the first few rounds of any spelling bee. But, I’ve got that right: role. I’m not thinking about jelly or chocolate, but about teamwork and projects. The skills I’ve been good at are not highly compensated in jobs. They’re usually transferable to other jobs. Like being creative in the kitchen and keeping up the dusting/vacuuming. Lately though, I’ve been filling chore time with planning how to tear things up and remodel a house. I’d rather play Bach from memory! I find these tasks quite stressful!

One project that is chugging right along is the organ repair. Maybe that’s because we set my Dad’s photograph on a stool so he could stare at the back of the organ where the electronics are. He was a talented electronics technician that could reengineer radios and stereo equipment, rewire a car or house, and generally fix just about anything by redesigning it. Of course the people around him weren’t always successful in learning this new system or how to use this prototype equipment. I’ve carried a healthy respect for instruction manuals into my adulthood because of that. (Yes, I read the Prius Owner’s Manual from cover to cover when we bought our first Prius.) I do think he's helped with the organ. We've figured out quite a bit, despite the incorrect drawings and lack of documentation.

So, you can understand where I am in the design process for my next tatting projects. I’m making all kinds of notes and analyzing everything! I should have pictures soon. I usually end up picking up shuttles and tatting to reduce my stress with little for the design folder. It’s also the season to get plants into the ground before the rains hit so they can establish over the winter. That may take up my “free” time. Gosh, the dusting upstairs just may not get done this week! I may get the earrings finished though.....

4 comments:

  1. A lot of roles we all fulfill! Interesting thoughts about the value of instruction booklets. Our dog ate the booklet that came with my new washing machine. I had read it, but I’d like to be able to go back to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many manuals are on line now, BUT..... make sure the link is from the manufacturer. There are those who phish by offering printed material.

      Delete
  2. You own a Prius? Me too! My second. 2010, bought it new. I keep it in shape and cannot find a reason to trade it in now it's paid for. Love it. Drove it to Tat Days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're on our 3rd Prius, this one's a Prius V. Kinda the green stationwagon version. I hope they bring back that body style. It even swallows up my 4 harness loom!

      Delete