Pages

Friday, September 1, 2017

Fair 2017 time!

A busy few days! I’ve enjoyed sharing my love of fiber arts! It’s so much fun seeing people get excited about creating. So many people wandered in and left with a bounce to their steps. It’s just plain fun!

The marketing team for the Fair has focused on the anniversary of 1967 Summer of Love events that happened here in Monterey. I was not here. I lived in Oregon then. I was begging my Dad to take my training wheels off my bike. I was not participating in the newsworthy events here.

It’s been interesting to hear what people are focusing on. I’ve heard stories of teen escapades, family and friends exploring the World, and sad, horrible stories of tragedy. To those families, I extend support to move on and make the world a better place.

Personally, I have no wish to return to that era. I like living in the present. I have a hard time with Living History. Maybe it’s my life as a musician playing 7 centuries worth of music in one day on a regular basis.  I don’t like dressing in costumes and using modern tools to tat. If I really wanted to be true to technique, I would be limited to post 1970 era. That’s not to say that tatting hasn’t been around a long time, just that I use modern shuttles, modern thread, modern joins, modern colors, etc. The future invigorates me. I go crazy trying to recreate the past. I get crazy creating the future.


Today, I’ll be helping out with the Embroidery Guild table. They’re a great group of ladies and several men who love fiber. There are those who stitch who spend a lot of energy “doing it right” and there are those who create and learn and dream. I’ve enjoyed learning with them. Time to pack a tatting bag and a stitching bag!

No comments:

Post a Comment