Pages

Thursday, September 3, 2020

Boustrophedon




I came across this in my reading thisweek. In this Pandemic time, I resolved to learn more Bach (Fantasia BWV 572 for video see this post); finish a monster doily begun *ahem* several years ago; catalogue my music; etc. Oh, and learn more about teaching left-handed people to tat. Several veteran teachers have shared how they teach “lefties” and I have my own experiences to ponder. Because my right hand has suffered the most damage over the years, I try to learn new skills left-handed first, then if I just can’t manage, I try right-handed. I still write in my journal using my right hand as that’s not a *new* skill. J I was alerted to this article by Marjorie Mann written for Needle Arts (publication of the Embroiderer’s Guild of America. The series is on Left, Right, Up, Down, and Around in stitching. I found her insights very useful for teaching tatting.

In the second article of the series, Ms. Mann wrote of the concept of Boustrophedon in stitching. As she describes it, the stitcher economizes on thread by stitching “right-handed” one row, then “left-handed” the next row. In her opinion, the technique is both handedness neutral and handedness inclusive. I immediately saw that. It explains what I’ve observed watching a good friend stitch! Incidentally, weavers must learn to throw the shuttle with both hands. One learns which side is easier to keep a good selvage and keeps that in mind planning for the next warp.

So, shuttle tatting…..

In my opinion, lefties have an easier time learning the flip. They’re used to holding things in their right hand and moving them around. They have an easier time relaxing their left hand on command and usually find individual finger movements easier. I encourage a leftie to hold the shuttle however they feel comfortable. I’ve even encouraged trial tatting with me providing the hand with ring thread wrapped and ready. Only one person has decided they needed to hold the shuttle in their left hand. Taking the time to establish that made all the difference in the world for her!

It’s good to know the challenges stitchers face in handedness. I will be exploring boustrophedon in the future.

My motto: The knot doesn’t care how it’s made, the thread just wants to be lace!

5 comments:

  1. i knit stockinette right and left handed... makes charts much easier!

    i keep thinking that back-front tatting would be enhanced by doing the back-side sections left handed... i will definitely have to try that now! (i have tatted left handed to teach a lefty who couldn't mirror.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find I move my left hand more when doing the wrapped stitches of a split ring. Perhaps my brain is trying to Boustrophedon... or whatever the verb is!

      Delete
  2. Very handy to be able to work back and forth with both hands, I like the concept. Never come across the word before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First time I came across that term also. Now I think about it constantly....in the kitchen, ironing, putting away the laundry....what's that phrase about simple minds???

      Delete
  3. This also reminds me the block tatting tutorial by J.Patterson. I should remember your post, in case I will teach to a left handed person.

    ReplyDelete