Pages

Thursday, August 27, 2020

New Music


I bought some new music yesterday! 

It feels fun to indulge in some retail therapy. What did I buy?

It is program music. In more ways than one. The composer based it on a poem from “Old Possum’s Book of Practical Cats” by T.S.Eliot. She focused on Mr. Mistoffelees. Now, if you’re familiar with Cats by Andrew Lloyd Webber, you will be hard pressed to consider the Overture by Rachel Laurin without prejudice. A bit like looking at tatting with cluny elements without thinking of a favorite trim or edging. The effort is worth it. She gives a table of some structural and musical characteristics related to the poem. I’m really looking forward to learning and performing this one!! Here’s a link to a performance that will have to suffice as a world premier in this time of COVID. 


And yes, I’ve already made some sketches of a tatting design I see when I consider Mr. Mistoffelees!

3 comments:

  1. What fun! Just listened to it online. :) Enjoy learning the piece and I hope you enjoy tatting whatever comes to mind as you play.
    StephanieW

    ReplyDelete