Pages

Tuesday, August 18, 2020

Around me


Have you ever waded in the ocean with the sea swirling around your ankles? It’s fascinating to watch the water. The foam creates wonderful patterns. The sun glints off the surface. Water is very powerful and can push the sand around. Your feet can be sunk into the wet sand quite quickly. It’s easy to become really engrossed in what’s happening right at your feet.

And dangerous

The ocean is not to be ignored. Especially where we live a sneaker wave can come in and you find yourself fighting for your life in deeper and deeper water with no way to get to safety. It is a matter of life and death that you never, ever turn your back to the sea; nor do you ever forget to keep an eye on the surf. Even if you’re just strolling along the edge of the water enjoying the beach.

Right now around me is another situation where you never ignore your surroundings.  About 10 miles from my house there is a wildfire burning. It’s big. It’s going to be burning for days. It’s not threatening my home. But, the air is smoky. I still have taken time to be prepared just in case things change. I’ve got my eye of the surf. I’ve got my eye of the wind and alerts set up on my phone.

I am safe.

4 comments:

  1. Oh goodness, sorry to hear that, fire is terrifying. Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I live in a safe neighborhood. I will be following updates carefully, but our risk is quite low. My focus will be helping when and where I am able.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, sounds frightening! Stay safe!
    StephanieW

    ReplyDelete