Pages

Tuesday, June 30, 2020

What makes your tatting art?

The question arose again as I told a friend about my donation piece. I have no authority like a degree or financial success to argue that my lace is “art” or even that it is not a “craft” to be relegated to various pigeon holes. In my quest for trying to talk about what I do, I’m usually reading something about music or art. I’m currently trying to read a Google Books version of Eye of the Painter by Andrew Loomis. The author makes a distinction between “pretty art” and beautiful art. He talks of the difference between commercial art and fine art. Of course, this method is focused on painting only. He even says something can be pleasing as in a piece of embroidery or a design on wallpaper, but not really art. My reaction: Sigh!
My tatting strives to get people to think. About music, about how things can look, about remembrances of what they have heard. I hope it is pleasing to the eye. I hope it can be displayed in a home or office. I hope it stretches what people recognize as lace just a bit. Is it “art” or just…..?
I’ve decided I will create. For me. For the odd person who likes my ideas. I’ll leave the designation of “art” to others who seem more inclined to argue and parse than to enjoy.
Bottom line: Support the arts. Put in a ticket for my piece in the Fundraiser (link when it opens) and enjoy music represented in lace.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, just do it! I suspect those that argue the definitions never get around to creating anything themselves.

    ReplyDelete