Pages

Tuesday, June 23, 2020

History really does matter

Those of you who follow this blog regularly know that Ialways keep one eye turned to what has been done before.  You also may have noted that I do not insist on any one particular method of tatting, not one particular method of learning music. Since the history of tatting has been obscured through time, and no two organs are alike, I don’t spend a lot of time on how to, I just try to focus on results and what works this particular time. Lest you wonder, I am highly critical of my own efforts. I record myself regularly when practicing, photograph my tatting from all angles, and seek out comments from those who know and from those who have never experienced the process. I may not have strict methods, but I operate on the knowledge that details matter. That’s where History comes in.

I feel we must know from where we come so that we can focus our energies and resources on what will matter in the future. It’s exciting to me to find out what other people have created. Sometimes I don’t like it. Sometimes I can’t get enough. So, I spend quite a bit of time listening tomusic, visiting museums, reading and watching and soaking it up. I hope that those efforts are not just wasted time, but the chance to discover what someone has found important. All that is to say, I don’t have pictures of what I’ve been tatting, I don’t have videos or sound clips of my organ playing, lately I’ve been playing with a lot of ideas.

I will share a link to a rather fun look at an organ competition: https://www.pbs.org/independentlens/videos/pipe-dreams/

This is a 55 minute show following several young organists as they compete in an International Competition in Canada. You’ll see a wide variety of organs, although nothing is shared about the individual instruments. You’ll see a wide variety of backgrounds, although nothing is shared about where the young people are now. You’ll hear a wide variety of music, although most of the clips are just highly edited snippets. 

If you want more, you’ll need to spend a fair amount of time on Youtube and other surfing. Since this competition is held every 3 years, you’ll have lots of time before the next one. In the meantime, please seek out local musicians and artists whether or not they enter competitions. We’re starting to get back to doing what we do best.


4 comments:

  1. I absolutely agree that history matters! Which is why I Cannot get my head around the fact that people want to erase what they find currently "offensive", forgetting that there is a context, there is growth, there is evolution. While history is written by victors and rulers, yet education and more subaltern information/perspective would be the positive approach, not pulling down the past.
    Sorry for the rant. Please delete the comment if you so wish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish education could change perspective. However, it has been my experience that I am in the minority of those who continue to learn throughout their life. Education doesn't always reach those who are old enough to vote, those who are old enough to volunteer, those who are old enough to raise opinions.
      That's my rant..... educate yourself constantly....

      Delete
    2. I agree. Nothing happens overnight, but a well-constructed curriculum can educate the young over time, showing the good and the bad of the past. It will still be better than the negative and violent behavioural models they may see now.
      One can only hope :-)

      Delete
  2. I've gotten quite a bit of chatter about this post. Some I have chosen not to post here. True to form, tatters have been generous and thoughtful. History was not one of my strong suits in my education, but I always make sure I am well grounded in History as I practice and tat. I pray future generations will have the freedom to do likewise. Please have the courage to stand up for respecting all.

    ReplyDelete