Pages

Thursday, June 18, 2020

Enough

Enough introspection! Time for music and lace:

I’ve been reading a thesis written for a Master’s Degree in Music Education. The premise is that teaching basic aural skills in music is enhanced when color is assigned to musical ideas. Quite fascinating and I’ve a list of materials to find for further reading plus a list of people to write to and ask after ideas I’ve come up with. Music and lace. Seems more possible now.

Here’s what came from my shuttles most recently: 

I will start on figuring out the border next. If anyone recognizes this pattern, please let me know. I feel certain it has been published before. I’ve looked through my books and done a bit of research online, but have not found any hints yet. Anyone????

Oh, and June 2020 will be Glorious!!!


3 comments:

  1. Sounds an interesting idea, linking colour and music. Yes, no reason not to link lace and music! I don't know the motif. It looks as though tension would be important for this one, and you've done an excellent job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So many of those 'vintage' motifs and medallions looked very similar to each other, but although yours *reminds* me vaguely of something 'vintage,' I cannot find anything quite like it. I'm eager to see what the next row brings forth. The idea of linking color to musical ideas is an interesting one. That, too, sparked vaguely-remembered things....musicians throughout history - not all of them, but enough to remember the idea, at least - 'saw' music in color(s). Wasn't Messiaen one of them? Seems like he was a different color for each note....C, C#, D, D#, E, F.... And I seem to remember reading about someone else who saw each KEY as a different color, but I don't remember who it was.
    StephanieW

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will be posting on this soon. You’re absolutely correct Olivier Messiaen did “see” music as colors. Bach also “saw” music as did Mozart. This whole idea almost got me to do a Masters…..but, I picked up shuttles instead. (Cheaper no doubt)

    ReplyDelete