Pages

Thursday, July 2, 2020

Of vintage and new

Remember this intriguing mat from the Lace Museum collection?

vintage mat with tatted inset and border
Mat with tatting from the
Lace Museum in Sunnyvale

 My interest was pricked not just by the use of lace with a cloth mat, but by the question of, “could this be tatted by a machine?” Since Santa Clara County has ordered all museums closed, I was not able to examine it in person. The photographs shared were very well done and gave me quite a bit to go on. After hours of searching online, thank you Google Scholar, I concluded that there were patents applied and granted for tatting machines. There is excellent research work out there. More should be done.

detail of corner of mat

I kept going back to the mat. From the photograph, it looked like it was tatted with only chains, no rings. How would I choose to tat it? I sent emails, studied the photo, made notes, picked up my shuttles and created a sample. The staff at the Lace Museum in Sunnyvale is interested in offering a class to recreate this piece. So, I’ve been creating the written pattern with diagrams, tatting samples, and pulling together a kit list for them. Target date is in July. Anyone interested in joining the fun?


2 comments:

  1. Such a beautiful mat and you have such good observation! Yes, the 'rings' are chains joined at the base - that one tell-tale thread across the start/base gives the secret away.

    ReplyDelete