Pages

Tuesday, March 3, 2020

Preparation


Preparation is the key.

I practice for hours just to play for people to listen for a few minutes.
I study a pattern and thread beads and wind shuttles to tat a few rings and chains.
I consider and imagine the plan for the garden and add to the soil and sift out the weeds and such to plant a seed.
I gather samples and print handouts and write outlines to teach a workshop.

If I shirk that preparation, the experience of the concert, the lace, the garden, or the lesson is just not going to meet anyone’s expectations.

Yes, I know much is out of my control in all of those experiences. If the talent isn’t there, the willingness and openness is lacking, the water and critters make a difference. But, my preparation is a lot more important.

I’ll be doing a lot of preparation in March. It’s hard to take pictures of preparations. I’m sure you don’t care to listen to the practice. I tend to forget to photograph the progress in the garden. I’ll do my best, but I’ll be busy. Catch up with me at the concert and workshops. Take a lesson or two.

In the meantime, here’s a picture of a trial of Karey Solomon’s Buttonwood:


5 comments:

  1. I forgot how nice that pattern tats up. You did a lovely job tatting it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You’re right, preparation is vital. I guess people prefer to see the finished product, but sometimes it’s interesting to see what leads up to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've wondered if sharing what I do to prepare would be of interest. I haven't as it could easily sound whiny. I'll have to see if I can conjure up a couple of posts about that.

      Delete
  3. I agree! One admires (or pans) the final outcome, but rarely thinks of all the preparation & hard work that went in. Nice buttonwood!

    ReplyDelete