Pages

Tuesday, March 17, 2020

Strange times


I am a tatter and a musician because I am. What little I’ve accomplished in the Arts is not solely on talent. Believe me! There’s a lot of sweat equality in every single piece I play, every single pattern I tat. I believe the world needs beauty. During these strange times navigating a response to COVID-19, I cannot keep from creating.

I draw for inspiration the many, many artists and musicians who have gone before me. People who continued to create when there was no need, people who continued to teach when there was no opportunity.

That has resulted in me tatting with a shoelace in a grocery store, talking about Galileo and his career choice of mathematics rather than organist as his father wished, playing the Prelude when the guy at the sound board was playing his favorite Christian Music hit, and generally seeing art and hearing music everywhere.

So, I encourage all of us to continue to create. Answer uncertainty with Bach and Rings/Chains. Give us all a reason to hope and look to tomorrow.

I will be practicing and tatting as I remember a photo of Isaac Stern playing in 1991 on stage, alone, while the audience members sat listening wearing gas masks. (You’ll need to scroll halfway down this page.)

Stay safe and be healthy everyone.

2 comments: