Pages

Thursday, September 16, 2021

I am of an age

 This post has no music, no lace, and is rambling. There! You’ve been warned!!!

I am of an age to remember a girl in my town who had suffered paralysis from polio. The adults admonished us to be nice to her. Other adults clucked their tongues and mourned she would never marry.  Thanksgiving was always expressed that she didn’t die. You don’t forget that.

I am of an age to remember getting a polio vaccine with the rest of my class in school. It was terrifying! The dose was delivered with a tool that sounded like a miniature pneumatic nail gun. We were lined up along the side of the room after moving the desks to clear space. I knew one of the nurses from the church choir. She was trained on the battlefield….literally. She never lost her bark. They marched into the classroom. There was no privacy, no coddling. One nurse rolled your sleeve up for you; the next nurse wiped down your arm with a swab; then the final nurse delivered the poke. The boys bragged they didn’t cry. The girls whimpered. The teachers shushed us and directed us to sit at our desks with our hands folded until all was calm.

I am of an age to remember and take action. My first action each day: prayers of gratitude that I live when and where I do with the gifts I have been given.

Remember

2 comments:

  1. Yes, I think a major problem now is that not enough people remember what the diseases were like. My polio inoculation was pink liquid on a sugar drop. TB had a multi pronged thing that I still have the scar from.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also I can remember we all children lined up in a classroom, for vaccine. White uniform for girls, blue for boys, all wearing a big bow, sleeves rolled up. Those are nice memories, anyway, girls bragging that we would have been braver than boys 🤣

    ReplyDelete