Pages

Thursday, July 22, 2021

A familiar technique just a bit different


 I love how you can translate techniques and transcribe pieces. I love taking the familiar and presenting it just a bit different.

We add beads to tatting that can remind one of adding beads to kitting or crochet or cross stitch. Each way gives you just a bit different result.

We can play a piano piece on the organ, or transcribe an orchestral work for the organ. The music can sound very different, but there’s still a bit of recognition.

When I learned how to create a “cluny leaf” in tatting, I understood the technique, had fun creating the lace, and love using the technique in my patterns. I also understood that those who create a similar element in bobbin lace or surface embroidery stutter when trying our cluny leafs in tatting. Why? I wondered.

Well, this post on Mary Corbet’s excellent blog with videos gave me more insight:

Stitch Fun: Making Long Woven Picots without a Pin

I recommend watching this video also: https://www.needlenthread.com/2008/01/woven-picot-another-embroidery-video.html

Now I understand how to teach tatting a cluny so much better! Thank you to all who share and teach and put fiber arts out there for all of us!

4 comments:

  1. That post was fascinating wasn’t it. Now I want to see you tat a very long cluny! Yes, it’s good when different disciplines can inform each other.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm intrigued and have been trying to carve time to try ideas. One stumbling block: the "long picot" starts with one end open. Could a tatted Cluny start with the warp threads apart?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mel, I enjoyed your post and idea. I think that a long long tatted (hanging?) Cluny need a long long loom, that's something very interesting to try 🥰

      Delete
    2. I think the loom I have would work, but what trips me up is the open end. Our current Cluny technique has both ends closed to a point.

      Delete