Pages

Tuesday, December 22, 2020

Ya wants some whine with that?

 Quite a few of my Holidays find me gettin’ real whiney. As a church musician, December is non-stop performance. The music requested runs the gamut: 13 th century to 21 century; obscure sacred text to the latest poem by a “star”; and when someone actually is courteous enough to ask me to pick the music, I never know if it will please the listener. This year is no exception! Even without the in-person option, I’ve fielded enough requests for something everybody likes (read secular kids songs) to something easy (read a favorite of theirs that I’m sure to butcher). So, I’m whiney. When I allow myself to talk. Hint: if your musical friend isn’t saying much it’s because their just tired of the demands made on them this time of year. If they share anything, don’t talk, just listen. They really, really don’t care to know that Aunt Tilley loved the way Uncle Arthur sang O Holy Night. Let them celebrate authentically. You’ll enjoy their company a lot more, trust me!

OK rant over. I’ll know who has been around musicians by how loudly you’re laughing.

I spent time yesterday playing with beads and thread. My beaded version of Dissent is shaping up nicely. After several hours of notetaking, math problems, and researching bead packaging, I determined I have enough beads to start loading them on tatting. Who knew 1000 beads weight just a few grams? I should have pictures to share next week. Unless I change my mind. We’ll see what the future brings.

Because there will be a future. I promise to fill it with music and tatting. Really. Just give me some wine time!

4 comments:

  1. The laughing ones have either been around musicians, or are musicians themselves. You can probably hear my brother and me laughing all the way from the East Coast. When we get together around the holidays, we tell each other stories....and LAUGH!
    StephanieW

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sure your music has brought so much joy to whomever hears it. But then a little wine now and then is ok.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Music does bring joy. I just don't do Jukebox very well. Perhaps wine would help? Naw..... Happy Holidays!

      Delete