Pages

Thursday, January 9, 2020

Vintage thread


As with many artistic endeavors, tatting can bring up arguments. You know the kind, based on opinions, facts, and experiences. How much people argue seems to be influenced mostly by how passionate they are about the art. I’ve been caught up in too many arguments to not be warry of leading questions. I’ve been asked, “What kind of thread do you like to work with?” so many times I tend to not really answer. I tend to ask questions back at the inquirer. I like encouraging tatting. At least that’s my story and I’m stickin’ to it!

Whether you tat with vintage thread is one of those touchy topics. It can start all kinds of arguments! I feel compelled to be ambiguous. I do tat with vintage threads. I tat with crochet thread. I tat with all kinds of novelty fiber like paracord, metalics, floss, yarn….you get the idea. I tat.
So, when I started tatting a sample of a pattern for a workshop, I grabbed the thread I thought looked fun and would be easy to demonstrate with. Wonncha know it’s vintage! Busted! Now I have the tough decision. Keep using the sample, tat a nicer sample, or focus on the student.  Guess what I’m choosing????

5 comments:

  1. I hope you keep tatting with vintage thread, its my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It makes me sad that people feel the need to argue about what *you* choose to tat with. I hope you continue to use whatever you want to make these wonderful knots and so will I!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I, too, have started avoiding a few questions on tatting platforms. Some because tastes/preferences are very personal and answers can only be opinions - often a waste of time (that's my personal opinion 😃😉😄😆)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll tat with pretty much anything I can get my hands on, especially if I can wind it on a shuttle. I may ask what thread you're using, but it's more curiosity (have I tried that one yet?) than anything. :)

    ReplyDelete