Pages

Tuesday, January 7, 2020

Here's what I received


A dose of flu. No, I didn’t get really sick, just had to spend a week sipping tea constantly and dozing in my tatting chair. I’m back now. Just a couple more days and I should be back to full speed and full voice.

And so Epiphany….

I was amused recently when someone asked if I focused on Epiphany to chase away the Winter Blues. Well, I do get exhausted producing Christmas music so I have little energy for a week or so. But, like most things about my faith, it’s wrapped up in organ music.

One of my favorite pieces in organ literature is a setting of a hymn written for Epiphany: Wie schon leuchtet der Morgenstern BuxWV 223 by Dietrich Buxtehude. Like many compositions of this era, sacred and secular, this is a rif on the text while running through the common melody. For those who read music or know the chorale well, you can pick out the melody amongst the busy notes Buxtehude wrote down. If you’re thinking that’s a lot like jazz or folk, you’re correct. I particularly like this piece because you have the option within historical performance practice to change sounds frequently to set the sections apart from each other. So, I can provide an aural tour through an organ while providing a reminder of the tune and referencing text. If you’re thinking complicated, you got it!
I’ve been playing with tatting designs based on this piece for years. My recent dabbling in Blackwork has given me more ideas: create a Blackwork design to represent the chorale with the color and various rings/chains in tatting mounted on top the stitching. Perhaps beads too!

The next few months will be quite busy. We are getting closer to beginning some serious remodel on our Historic home, along with more substituting on the organ bench and teaching. I doubt I’ll get to putting into thread any ideas, but the sketches are piling up. I’ll try to give a window on that in the next week or so.

In the meantime, enjoy a listen to one of these videos of Wie schon. The visual is not much to look at unless you watch the one looking over the organists shoulder. Love her red shoes!


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyvMzIhiVxo (red!)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPtjnhZZQq4 (channel with many hymns)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWxSAjesxPY (Baroque temperament organ in Germany)

2 comments:

  1. Love the Zymbelstern on the 3rd video! What fun! I hope you're totally over the flu very, very soon.
    StephanieW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I picked recordings that are played a slower tempo. In my school days, I played it 20 clicks faster. I like the slower life!

      Delete