Monday, August 20, 2012

progress on the pansy diagram

I'm the type of tatter who needs to make copious notes as I tat a pattern. That is if I wish to repeat any successes and avoid making the same mistake again. So, I tend to copy patterns out of the books and the margins get full fast. Here's the back story on the pansy:

It's published in the Priscilla book on page 18. I first saw it in my Dover book published in the 60's. I love pansies, and so tried to tat it. I soon gave up thinking I just didn't have enough grasp of techniques. Then Yarnplayer posted a beautiful version. She's listed a class in this on Craftsy.com which I would like to take. Then, Sarah shared her rewrite with the Online Class. Thanks to these two wonderful artists, I gained the courage to try again. That and I needed something for my apron.

It turned out well. So, I decided I had to diagram it. Thanks to Gina and Sue, I am familiar enough with Inkscape to get into trouble. But, so far, this is working well.
diagram of 3-D pansy with beads
 Well, OK.....even I wouldn't be able to figure this out a year from now. So, I decided to break it down. I now have diagrams of the individual petals, similar to the photos that Sarah put in her document. I know have what the first round would look like:

First Round of each petal

Now, I need to add the other two rounds. It may take me awhile. I'm back to putting the next idea into thread on the Saint-Saens and I need to take a trip to Oregon to help sell my Mom's house. And of course, working through this pattern has spurred ideas for the rose pattern I love. Sigh....what's the saying about books and time???? I think there's so many patterns and not enough time.

Monday, August 13, 2012

doncha hate it when that happens????


Ok….so this is what can happen when you don’t really measure out the thread you need to finish a snowflake:
daisy picot snowflake by Stephanie

This isn’t the first snowflake I have run out of thread on. I typically work up a sample to the difficult section so that I can give visual, oral, and kinetic instruction during the class. This means that I work the pattern at least 7-8 times. So, ya think I’d have the amount of thread needed down. Right????

This is the solution I came up with:

and my way to finish the ring.


I’ll be presenting for two more classes at the Jo-Ann Fabric store. A big thank you to Winkerbill for giving me permission to use her pattern. The response has been so warm; I thought the snowflakes would melt….if the heat wave didn’t get them. Next month will be a fall theme. I just may revisit this snowflake later though.

Friday, August 10, 2012

apron appliques


Ever have one of those weeks where you get distracted and just enjoy life? It’s been a good week. I’ve finished a couple of pieces that will be sewn onto my apron. First, from Handy Hands website: http://www.hhtatting.com/free-lace-fan-quilt.cfm Thank you for sharing this with us!
edging for fan quilt square courtesy of Handy Hands
pansy
Then, a redo of a pattern I have attempted before. The first time was a disaster. I really like pansy and violet flowers, so I attempted it a second time. It was better, but nothin’ to write home about. After another year of working on techniques, I finally mastered the basics enough to do a better job.  The pattern is from a Priscilla book on the Antique Library page Georgia maintains:  here look on page 18. I encourage you to look for a great tutorial made by Marilee Rockley craftsy.com class and study Sarah Danks rewrite that she shared with the OnLine tatting class: Sarah Danks rewrite Of course after I worked on the flower a day or so, I looked at the cat and said aloud, “I have to diagram this or I will lose my sanity.” I’m no artist, so you’ll have to wait until I can get one made on the computer to see what I came up with.

Now to sew these on the apron and pack the bag for the morning class and afternoon demonstration tomorrow.

Sunday, August 5, 2012

more bookmark variations


I’ve finally finished my Anne Orr bookmark comparison. Whew!
variations on a pattern by Anne Orr

I have a personal favorite, but they each worked up rather uniquely. I can see using more than one of these variations. They will end up going to my friend-the-Chaplain.

I think next I will work on an edging to go on my apron I wear while teaching. I think I will start with a peruse through my Konior book and then maybe another look through some other books.

Friday, August 3, 2012

Saint-Saens test no 4


Well, I finally got back to the Saint-Saens with a bit more time than just a few minutes to stare at it. I’m still working in my “muslin” thread/bead choices. I figure if I can’t see the possibilities in this, I’m headed down the wrong path anyway. I’ve got a bit of tweaking to do on the two outer rounds, but you can get the idea for the busy section.
Saint-Saens test
In the movement from the Symphony, Saint-Saens states each theme, and then begins to pull in other ideas. He restates ideas from earlier movements, mixing them up with ideas from this movement. I’m not sure if I’ll keep all the negative space, but the orchestration is pretty sparce and the organ part is really quite simple. The whole time I’ve been working on this, I keep reminding myself: “less is more” and “KISS” and “stick to the point” etc. I will be letting this sit for a day or so; then messing with a couple of ideas on the computer before putting anything in thread again.