Pages

Thursday, February 20, 2020

In the Program


Those local to Monterey may have figured out that I review concerts for a website. I don’t consider myself a journalist and I ALWAYS ask for my text to be proofread before submittal. As my daughter said once I don’t “grammar” well. She admonished me to stick to playing music and tatting lace. Don't let a teenager limit you. 

I was pleasantly encouraged to read a column by a restaurant reviewer this week. Raul Nava will be writing for the Monterey Herald. In his column, he wrote of his vision. He wishes to “avoid the traditional parade of critical commentary on dish after dish.” That sums up my vision for my reviews. 

I could write words detailing every mistake, expressing my own personal bias, or slamming the venue. But, I like encouraging people to play music, buy tickets to hear music, and to explore compositions they haven’t yet come to love. Sure, I’ll be attending concerts that will be a negative experience. I’ve played some concerts and services that I’d really, really like a do-over! Sure, recordings are available for free. I recommend newbie concert goers listen to the music at least once before settling in their seat and perusing the program.

I’ve decided that will be my “by-line” for these reviews: In the Program.

I hope if you see me at a concert, you’ll let me know you read this blog and give me feedback. Oh, and invite someone to explore the music with you. There are plenty of people out there who hesitate to attend a concert, and would be glad for the encouragement!

2 comments:

  1. Good for you! I’m not fond of the restaurant critics or any other critics who focus on the negative. It’s not necessary. Do the job yourself then is my reaction to that sort of review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly the thoughts of many performers, including this humble writer. My reviews are generally posted within a few days of the concert. Since many of the musicians are local, and I play/sing with some, I see no point in being mean.

      Delete