Pages

Thursday, March 28, 2024

Happy Easter!

 As a Church musician, that greeting always sounded trite to me. By the time Easter dawned, I was usually tired. The few days before then are always very busy and exhausting. Easter day is always very demanding for producing music at the highest level you possibly can manage. Think Super Bowl at Dawn. Happy? I usually felt nervous, anxious, pressured; all on top of feeling sleep deprived and weary. Happy? I will feel happy after all the family obligations are done and I can rest for a few hours.

My body didn’t hold up to that stress. I landed on the injured bench, not the organ bench. I couldn’t push using mind over matter well enough to produce the expected excellence.

But, could I fill the world with beauty? Yes.

Could I inspire others to create beauty? Yes.

I just had to figure out a way.

I’m fortunate in that I have the means and opportunity to figure that out. I found a way to express my love of organ music without overusing my hands so much I couldn’t preform daily tasks. Happy Easter? Yes. Happy. If I stay focused and don’t let others bully me into entertaining them in THEIR desire for the perfect Easter.

3 comments:

  1. Happy Easter. It’s important to look after yourself so you can be happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is important. Last year I tried to play while sick thinking it was just a chest cold. I was wrong. I'm a heart failure patient now! And I'm taking care of myself.
      Happy Easter

      Delete
  2. Over more than a year now, my motto has been 'I do what I can when I can'. There's only so much one can push one's body and brain. And I'm happy at whatever progress I can make - enjoying the process, though it certainly get frustrating at times.
    Take care and remain happy !

    ReplyDelete