Pages

Thursday, January 27, 2022

Hummingbird perhaps?

 


That’s what I think this year’s TIAS from Jane is. It’s always fun to see if we can tat her very unique patterns. It’s always fun to read what everyone around the world thinks we’re tatting. Sometimes I really have no clue until the last few pieces of the pattern. This year, I’m thinking bird, specifically a hummingbird. Perhaps because of an experience in our garden:


I was watering last weekend (yes, it's been THAT dry) and paused when I heard a hummer chittering above my head on a branch of a vine. It was so close I could see a tongue zipping in and out of the long bill. Amazing! That tongue has to be as long as 1/3 of the body of that tiny bird!!

Some of our hummers stay year-round, others migrate on after a few days. We’ve even had a nest in a tree in our yard. Fun fact: the nests are made of spider webs; very convenient as the nests expand as the chicks grow. Now that’s a housing solution!

Oh, and if you want to join in the fun, here’s the link to Jane’s Tat It and See website.

1 comment: