Pages

Friday, November 20, 2015

Progress on ball covering(s)

Well, it’s finally happened. I finally understand covering a ball ornament with tatting. The ladies at the Lace Museum in Sunnyvale crank these out by the tree full and sell them as a fundraiser for the Museum. They kept asking me to try and I’d make an attempt and get nothing but a bunch o’ knots. It was embarrassing. I’d ask for help. They’d give me pointers. I found patterns online. I even tried to order a book from Handy Hands but alas, the day I set aside time and money to do that, the computer broke….literally. I think the first book I spied balls in was one I picked up while browsing at Lacis. It looks so easy! I’m good at adapting patterns. I can do this.
NOT
Just last spring, Nadine Nunelly published a book. It was recommended by Georgia Seitz so I knew I had a fighting chance to actually succeed. So, I used some gift money to order a copy. Yet again, this simple concept eluded me. It wasn’t until I was preparing for the Doubleweave workshop that the light bulb flickered in my brain. I won’t say anything made sense. Just that I was having success with the edging to the sampler piece. Something sorta clicked.

I picked up a bunch of small balls to cover for gifts for friends this Christmas. Now the fun begins!

No comments:

Post a Comment