Pages

Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Music events


Lately, I seemed to be drifting away from my core plan. I have wanted to focus on tatting and organ music. That is exciting, with a multitude of possibilities. I try to spend a bit of each day working through all the ideas that come to me. But, lately, well…..

Each December my calendar fills with not just social parties, shopping, preparing our home for holiday celebrations, but with too many opportunities to sing or play or enjoy other music makers. Over the years, I’ve become a bit of a scrooge with my energy and talents. I’m trying hard this year to choose wisely and with kindness in my heart. So far, so good.

Then life happened. Nothing I can’t handle, but time spent thinking and listening wears a brain down; and brainpower is what brings those ideas to reality.

As I mentioned in the last post, Dave Brubeck is no longer playing with us. He has brought his music to the skies. The special blend of old and new that he gave us will forever be in my heart. I feel great thanks for his life.

Then, I received a true gift. A neighbor was unable to use tickets for the Chanticleer Christmas concert. I could hardly believe what I was hearing, but I did manage to stammer “Yes!!!” and then actually managed to get to the concert and enjoy the magical evening. They create more music that has changed our world that I love. I feel great thanks for experiencing it all.

Finally, in the newspaper this morning, I see that RaviShankar has died also. Another musician blending old and new. He never lost sight of his quest and focus.

So, I will continue to focus and create. Don’t get me wrong! I know I’m not in the same league as these folks. I know I won’t garner as much acclaim. I just wish to give just a small bit to the good and add beauty to the world. There’s just never enough hours to listen, to play, to tat, to live!

No comments:

Post a Comment