Pages

Tuesday, September 22, 2026

Which way do I tat?

This post is all about mignonette patterns. You know, the ones with Bare Thread Spaces between itty bitty rings? Yeah, those. My idea for the snood involves such a pattern with rings of 10 DS. (R:5+5. BTS)

I ran into a problem while watching a mystery in a language I don’t know with subtitles and tatting my trial piece:

I confused where I needed to join.


I found myself reversing my direction of tatting so that I joined in the BTS I just formed rather than the previous row. After making the mistake 3 times and pulling open those rings to correct it, I grumbled, “There has to be a way!”

There is

It doesn’t involve what knitters do: Only stop at the end of a row. A row will take too long in the snood idea.

It doesn’t involve holding the previous rings in a special way. At least not for the first few rows.

It does involve a marker thread passed through the previous row’s BTS. That’s the darker thread in the picture. As I join to the BTS, I unweave the marker thread. Every few rings I pause to install the marker thread in more BTS so that I don’t pull it out completely.

I’m ready to test out this idea watching the rest of the mystery!

No comments:

Post a Comment