Pages

Thursday, April 8, 2021

I've received a jab

 Yesterday and today will therefore be rest days. I spent some time, when I wasn’t sleeping, reading an article on marking your scores by a respected organist. I agreed with the opinions expressed in the article. (Not unusual as I tend to consider all opinions as just that: opinion. I tell my students why I agree and then give them permission to explore, test, and decide.) The bottom line for this organist is that if you mark your score well, your repeat performance will be more accurate, less stressful and more musical.

What has that to do with tatting? Well, I still prefer working from a copy of a pattern printed on paper. That’s because I always, always mark the piece of paper with my notes on thread size, shuttle or needle, finished size, amount of thread used, where I found the pattern difficult to reproduce consistently, any other tidbit that I think I may want to know in 2-3 years when I decide to tat the piece again.... you get the idea!

Mark your score. Mark your pattern.

Your tatting will be more consistent, more enjoyable and prettier.

Next week: how I mark my patterns.

2 comments:

  1. Yes, it’s a good idea to write oneself notes on a pattern. Otherwise the learning process begins all over again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! And I dislike reinventing the wheel. I would rather create.

      Delete