Pages

Thursday, December 12, 2019

Now I Lay my thread


I like tatting for many reasons:

The lace I create
Working with tools and thread
Something I can do with my hands that is portable
You can create a lot without spending a lot….except time

As I work my way through some of the cast-off stash boxes that have come my way, I’ve discovered tools I knew nothing about. Some of them I still don’t know what they are. Some I’ve re purposed. Most I pass on to others.

 I found a new purpose for a worn tatting needle. The finish is worn off close to the eye, so using it for needle tatting doesn’t work so well. I’ve learned to use it as a laying tool for stitching with silk. It works quite well. I’ve even developed a way to help with my tatting. I’m more conscious of where the thread is going as it comes off the shuttle. I now tat more confidently with a flat shuttle.
For those who are curious, there’s a good explanation on Nordic Needle website and a video on needlenthread. I’ll be posting pictures when I stop playing and sampling and actually create a piece.

2 comments:

  1. I do like the concept of repurposing tools, good for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes my best creative spurts are when I have to get creative with what is on hand. Not something I would recommend regularly!

      Delete