Pages

Thursday, August 29, 2024

I've been sampling again

 I’m still working my way through all the boxes and boxes of stash other people have asked me to help with. Occasionally I find valuable things: those go back to the original owner. Occasionally I find useful things: again, I check with the original owner. Occasionally I find intriguing fiber or materials: those I play with or pass on to be creative springboards.

This is a ball of something fun. It appears to be rayon. Very silky and slippery. I would guess it was originally spun in the 80’s. I decided to try tatting with it. Past experience led me to NOT pick up a shuttle (the knots didn’t stay formed at all) and NOT to pick up a needle (again, just too slippery to deal with), so I tried using the Takashima hook.

The attempt was much more successful. You can see I didn’t block the motif.  I had difficulty getting the rings closed and chains settled into position. The motif came from the Collingbourne book I recently picked up in the Antique Shop. I plan to keep the ball in the box with novelty thread for stitching with. I think it would make a great sky background for a small project. Perhaps some canvas work similar to this project or this bookmark?

2 comments:

  1. The right tool for the thread. I was recently given a number of balls of similar looking thread. I have shuttle tatted with it, but it’s not ideal for tatting.

    ReplyDelete