Pages

Thursday, April 16, 2020

Designing in white or color, good or seconds?


Question for those who design: Do you use color or white for your trial tatting? Do you try out ideas in “seconds” thread or good thread?

Many years ago, I bought a very, very large cone of size 10 crochet thread. It was on sale, I could use a coupon to boot, and I thought it would be handy for trying out ideas. This was many, many years ago. I still have some.

I’ve used it tatting, stringing up decorations at Christmas, and weaving with cards. Even in the kitchen. When I use it to tat, I have to remember to adjust any stitch count. The DS lay very different on the core thread. I’m usually tatting very quickly to get ideas into thread before I change my mind.
I’ll also use it to learn new pattern techniques. If I’m trying to incorporate buttons into a pattern, I use thread I can just take the scissors to. Sometimes I remember to snap a picture or make notes. Sometimes….better not to bother!

So, do you have a stash of thread you use for ideas?

6 comments:

  1. Sounds very handy to have that thread to experiment with. Well, I wouldn’t use my best thread, or favourite thread, but something reasonably close to what the final product will be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I rarely use white for trials or designing, because of the stiffness compared with the dyed lot. It does not give an accurate picture. But I do use other colours/colourways especially ones I am not fond of) for these purposes :-P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! Perhaps now I'll have the courage to use up some of my bits and pieces instead of saving them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tend to use threads similar to what I plan to use for the finished project, but in colorways I thought looked great on the ball when I bought the thread, and when I tatted with it, didn't like the way it looked when it was tatted. Depending on the size of the project, I use odd bits and half- or almost-full 'leftover' shuttles that aren't enough to make something 'big' but too much to throw out. As long as it's the same size/brand of thread, changing color doesn't matter in an 'experimental' tatting session. I have partial balls of thread that really aren't enough even for a bookmark, and I often use them for testing ideas for small projects, too.
    StephanieW

    ReplyDelete
  5. More good thoughts! Thank you! I think I will still reach for an "inferior" thread when learning new techniques or trying out a pattern I suspect is written incorrectly. You know that feeling when looking at a printed pattern? "That can't be right!"

    ReplyDelete
  6. White most of the time. There is no special reasson for using white, it's just because I have tons of white thread in size 8, and use it for trial and error
    Aurora

    ReplyDelete