Pages

Thursday, April 23, 2020

Nature can be stubborn



I like living in a climate where things grow year round. We never have snowfall at my house. We do get rain enough to not be classified as a desert. Most days we can be outside and not be in peril. Of course that means that there are garden chores year-round. If we had lawn, we would need to mow it about 50 times a year. We have 2 crops of citrus each year. There is no dormant period for roses. Some bulbs must be forced in a refrigerator. It’s possible to grow fresh veg in your own yard year round. We always have yard chores.

Most of the time, I just try to coexist with the plants in my yard. I have never had success controlling what grows where when. That can lead to things getting out of hand. It’s a fine line between “weed” and “cultivated” plants. I’m waiting for a sit-com to have a scene where two gardeners argue whether a plant is a weed or not.

Today, I must try to find a better place for these beauties. Perhaps I’ll put them in a bit of soil at the curb and mark “free” for those walking during our Stay-at-Home time.


Oh, and if you can tell me what kind of succulent they are, please do. Apparently, there are NOT fairy wands.


4 comments:

  1. Such beautiful blooms - they make a nice pleasant picture!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the volunteers growing on the step! It’s only a weed if you deem it so.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was thinking what a pretty yard you have. Such lovely plants. As far as 'weeds,' if you like it and you want it to grow there, it's a plant. If not, it's a weed. Wildflowers are weeds in some parts of the country, in others, they sell them as garden plants. Morning glories are a good example...and honeysuckle...and wisteria. Where I live, all three of those plants grow wild, EVERYWHERE, and can be pretty invasive if left alone. In other parts of the country (where I lived when I was a small child), they BUY those plants as 'garden' plants, and either plant them (seeds) annually (morning glories) or care for them as perennials (honeysuckle and wisteria) in the garden, Either way you look at it, your yard is lovely and so are the plants in it. :)
    StephanieW

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all!! Still wondering what it is......

    ReplyDelete