Pages

Thursday, October 27, 2022

Vintage can be frustrating

Well, in this case it’s not the thread’s fault. Remember this batch of vintage thread I found? Well, the color and size was just right for the hearts I wanted to tat to add to the SAL. So, I started winding the shuttles testing the thread to make sure it wasn’t degraded. I made steady progress with just a few fits and starts. I successfully tatted 3 hearts. They actually turned out to be matched fairly well.

Then I got started on the final heart. I was busy with other projects. Work has blossomed and I was enjoying being busy doing what I love AND earning money at it. The thread was degraded more than I thought. I started tatting away as I was enjoying Bach Festival only to have the thread break repeatedly. Starting over I reasoned that it was the humidity and heat and my lack of focus. I finally gave up on the second daisy motif. Why?

Because not only had I muffed getting the break repaired by starting again with the same thread (what WAS I thinking) but I had tatted an extra ring in the daisy. Nothing for it but to pitch the mess in the trash and get started with fresh thread.

It’s going better this time. I’ll be finished with it by the end of next week. Then to sew them on the stitched parts.

2 comments:

  1. Oh dear, that’s a shame. Have to regard those as practice pieces.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Practicing......keeping focused I guess. I need lots of practice on that!

      Delete