Pages

Friday, July 15, 2022

Trio strikes again

 Throughout my life as an organist, J. S. Bach has been present. Sometimes as a comfort that centers me in times of upset and trial, sometimes as a challenge to up my technique game. I don’t know how many of you have noticed, but it’s much more rewarding to play or sing Bach than to listen to Bach. (So, if you like listening to Bach, you MUST try your hand at creating his music yourself.)

Last night, I attended the Opening Concert of the 85th Carmel Bach Festival. Programmed for the end of the concert was BWV 1068 Orchestral Suite No. 3 in D Major. The performance was exhilarating! During the Music and Ideas talk before the Tower Music selections, it was commented that one can hear a bit of Brandenburg in the music. I concur. I also heard snippets Bach used in his Trio Sonatas. I must dig out my scores and have a go this afternoon!

No comments:

Post a Comment