Pages

Thursday, July 28, 2022

I have a boundary

 All right, those who know how I set boundaries can stop snickering! Not THAT kind of boundary….

I decided I had done enough practice on my doodle canvas and jumped into the next step of stitching the Elephant ear. The directions say, "Couch around ear." Couching always intimidates me. It’s combining thick thread with thin thread on top of and through the fabric or canvas. You must achieve the goldilocks of tension. You’d think that would be easy for an organist. We’re always adjusting our registration, articulation, and playing the specific instrument in the specific room. That’s why it’s so important for us to practice where we’ll be playing.

But I digress….

Time to set aside the practice mode and go all in. I think I succeeded in couching the outline of the ear. Now to fill it in with “brick stitch” (HUH?????) which isn’t explained enough in the text that came with the class. So……   

To the Internet and fire up the email account! I have questions…….. 

4 comments:

  1. Good for you for getting on with it! Looking good. Is brick stitch half a cross stitch? You’ll have to enlighten me when you find out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The text gives a good diagram, but no indication what order to lay in the stitches. It is a vertical stitch over 4 canvas threads much like Bargello. More as I receive answers.

      Delete
  2. Couching on this open weave fabric must be quite a task! Well done 😍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We outlined with tent stitch first, then used a very thick thread for the couching. I love the texture, but am curious if I've accomplished the objective. I haven't handled pieces with couching, so am rather ignorant.

      Delete