Pages

Thursday, June 9, 2022

Legacy

 I have quite a few “newsletters” drop into my mailbox each month. I’d like to paraphrase the first line of this newsletter (EGA blog): Every time we take up our craft, we carry on a legacy.

Every time I slide onto the bench and start up the blower motor, I keep organ music alive.

Every time I load a shuttle, I keep tatting alive.

But, is it enough?

I’ve come to the conclusion that just doing isn’t enough. We must teach, put the materials into the hands of those around us, encourage learning complete with mistakes and successes, and most important, we must communicate.

I promise to finish my Ukraine SAL with my design variation. Some will consider my version a mistake as I am not staying true to the designer’s version. Some will consider my version silly as I am adding tatting. If you go to the link above and scroll down the page, you will see several versions. I like how some of these versions will be visible in public. That will help people find a way to support each other.  I will finish.

NB What constitutes a newsletter has changed quite a bit. Now, it can be a marketing pitch, gossip session, calendar reminder, random thoughts, or just a way to say hello. I think that’s good. I’ve had to change how I file newsletters. That’s good too. For me, the bottom line is that we communicate; as groups, as individuals, as businesses, and communities.

3 comments:

  1. Communication is key. I also think adaptation is key. I used to belong to an organization that tried to keep everything the same, in the name of tradition. But if they don’t adapt and modernize, they’re in danger of disappearing altogether. So yes, find a new way of filing the new style newsletter and make your own version of the SAL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Knowing where you come from is important. You have less of a chance of repeating the mistakes of others. Here's to history and innovation!

      Delete
  2. You and Jane are both right! Knowledge and skills are meant to be shared and communicated for longevity and prosperity, and to become true legacies. 🌺

    ReplyDelete