Pages

Tuesday, January 23, 2024

And yet again

 Ok. Today I rant…..again. No, I’ll try not to sound grumpy. It’s just that today, I repeat the same concept and theory that seems to just not sink in with some people. Perhaps it’s because the concept involves how people used to create many, many years ago. That and a bit of STEAM………

(skip the next paragraph if you’re not up for rant.)

A very human trait to create has led to many innovations. When those dreaming up new ways to do things are informed of history, it’s usually quite a successful venture. Innovation is what makes the culture I grew up in influential. My peers and I were expected to try out new ideas, test each other’s ideas, and adopt what works well. That’s the way I do the thing. So, what concept am I having difficulty with? Using modern tools to accomplish ancient tasks. Yeah. That again. In my judgement, just because a tool is new doesn’t make it better AND just because we haven’t learned how something was accomplished before doesn’t make our way better. Sometimes we do find better ways to do things with newer techniques. Sometimes organic creativity is more authentic than historical practices. But, use your brain people, judge and think with your whole experience and knowledge!

(skep the next paragraph if you're not into STEAM.)

I’m always trying to work the Arts into Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math subjects. The Arts encourages dreaming, innovating, creating in a way that makes STEM useful and influential. History is a lot more fun when you can work in the Arts. Humans seem more human. Evil can be balanced with beauty. You get the drift.

So, tatting……

I’m working on a pattern concept that promises to express music in thread. I’m using newer tools while completing historic lace. Oh and modern style thread. It’s working well. It’ll take a few months to work through the possibilities. But, I’ll hear, “Why?” many, many more times. 

Because STEAM…history…lace…beauty…and because I can.

4 comments:

  1. I’ve learnt the lesson that newer tools are not necessarily better myself this week, when I found it was better to cut linings with a paper pattern and scissors than the rotary cutter and mat.

    Yes, different disciplines can inform and enhance each other.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting about the rotary cutter. I will be cautious if I ever am presented with the opportunity to work with one.

      Delete
  2. I agree with you!!! One should have the sense to choose/do what suits one's needs/requirements, not what the public at large says.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes to our detriment, we musicians ignore the "public" and play anyway. I find my gray hair can result in kinder comments at times.

    ReplyDelete