Pages

Tuesday, October 17, 2023

Is it my age?

 Warning: This is a bit of a rant and grumpiness.

You’re forewarned!

Have you ever wondered at how people react to your creative output? I have.

Having started performing at age 11, my experience has run the gamut. “You’ll learn how to play some year.” “It must be discouraging when you realize you’ve lost your edge.” I often wonder if people are just repeating what they’ve heard or curious or just plain mean. It doesn’t encourage young people to take up a creative pursuit. I was banking on being replaced by younger performers. I’m growing tired. But I can only control what I do.

Perhaps a lot of my situation is my choice NOT to color my hair. I don’t mind looking over 60. I don’t create to give people an escape from reality. Just to spread some beauty in the world and help people to feal in a cold, rough life. 

I find people still judge and assume. That’s part of creating. You have to accept that will part of the experience of creating and putting your work out there. When I play music, I have to accept that it won’t touch people the way it touches me. When I tat lace, I have to accept that it won’t bring smiles and joy to people. That’s what a creative life means. I can only control what I do.

I find more aspects of my life besides music and lace are being influenced by my perceived age. Where I live, what my house looks like, what I choose to attend and how I talk about my creative life. Maybe that means I’m involved more with people now. I’m no longer practicing and tatting in solitude. I’m out and about more. I’m teaching more. I’m in more situations where my creative output is for sale.

It’s interesting. I guess it is my age.

Or is it the age I live in?

4 comments:

  1. You raise a few interesting questions here... Perceived age and people's preconceptions in general are kind of unavoidable and hard to change. My advice is to pay them less mind and to not get detracted by the opinions of random people who barely know you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is most likely a bit of both. You are one in a million, don't you think so; then of course you need to pass a lot of people to find someone who has found their passion like you have.
    Other creative souls appreciate yours, I know I do. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both for your comments. I have a pretty thick skin, so most days I just keep on creating. Your words have me smiling. Now, where did my shuttle go???

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don’t let the detractors send you back into solitude.

    ReplyDelete