Pages

Tuesday, June 27, 2023

Deciding

 One question that often comes up, from tatters and those who don’t tat but love lace, is how I decide what to tat. That part of the creative process for me is the really fun part!


When I first started tatting, I followed patterns published in books. Sometimes I’d get so far and then I wouldn’t finish the piece.

Then I found patterns on the Internet. Sometimes I’d make several starts before I figured out how to tat the piece.

Then I found a group who discussed tatting on a weekly basis. Through that group, I was encouraged to design my own tatting projects. Sometime there’d be several trials of ideas before I’d come up with lace.

This is all part of the process of tatting for me: learning what has been done in the past, honing my skill to execute lace, and imagining new pieces. The deciding part is messy. The deciding part takes time. The deciding part can be unproductive and frustrating.

But the lace, is all good!

4 comments:

  1. I think the deciding and experimenting, swatching, are an enjoyable part of the whole process. Imagine this, no, perhaps that.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, all good! We are now spoiled for choice.
    When I found tatting on the internet and some top groups/classes in 2013-14, I chose patterns that could further my knowledge, skills, understanding, and application of the numerous techniques. Some I chose in order to play with colours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Designing a pattern yourself is no easy task, that is very true. But it's great when you have it all done and can proudly say you not only tatted it, but thought it out too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tat because...
    Such a difficult question to answer!
    I will now sit down and think while I create.
    What a great stress reducer!!

    ReplyDelete