Pages

Tuesday, June 29, 2021

Fussing with stitch count

 Normally, I dislike patterns I need to fuss with to make it work for my tatting style. That’s probably why I don’t tat more vintage patterns. I figure if a designer puts down a ring of 8 DS, I shouldn’t need to tat only 7 DS to make the final piece lay flat or look right. I understand that I tat tighter than many tatters. So, when I come across a pattern that doesn’t work with the published stitch count, I assume (yes, I know a dangerous stance) that something isn’t right.

I came across a pattern in a book of crosses that I’ve wanted to explore for some time. The end points of each arm/leg/top are split rings. Easy enough, right? Well, the pattern as published has those split rings with 8 DS on each side. One side has 3 picots, so if you do picots the Jan Stawasz way, that changes how many times the thread wraps around the core. I tried the pattern both ways. It was no go. I used a different tension. No go. I even tried using a different brand of thread that is just ever so less a diameter. No go. I finally just changed the stitch count.

Why should this matter so much?

Because my design style depends on stitch count. There are some pieces I design with stitch count driven by the music structure. Well, I learned something very valuable with this pattern:

If I need stitch count to matter, I should steer clear of certain elements.

6 comments:

  1. Yes, logic dictates that there should be more stitches on the outside of the curve than the inside!! I agree that if you can just follow a pattern without altering stitch counts the tatting is much more satisfying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you have a good point:logic should enter into tatting. I must remember that when designing.

      Delete
  2. I don't do much of vintage tatting because it's too much deciphering of text for my liking.
    Structure from one field can certainly create hurdles when translated to another, so I see your point there.
    Hope you can strike a balance soon and continue to enjoy your style 💖😍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think a balance will be easier to achieve now that I understand this simple concept.
      Happy tatting to you too!

      Delete
  3. Oh forgot to mention that I like the model as seen here!
    Another way to get a curved SR braid with count restrictions, is to play with the thread space length(s) between the SRs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good tip. I was looking for a firm tension as I wanted this bookmark to be used. I think this will do.

      Delete