Pages

Tuesday, February 2, 2021

Honing skills in 2021


I’ve been on an adventure in fiber lately. Nothing new, I know, but this adventure is designed (pun intended) to stretch my tatting skills. I prefer tatting in tight twist cotton. I have tatted in paracord, and boucle yarn. I decided to tat using a silk/bamboo yarn.


That’s the larger butterfly. The smaller butterfly is size 10. I tried several different movements of shuttle with the yarn. Some paths worked better than others. I tried tatting using my trusty size 5 needle. That worked, but again, I needed a different technique.

Now, if I channel Muskaan, I would meticulously post about it all. I’m not up to that task. Muskaan, you have the stage.

 I’ve decided to pull together my thoughts, observations, and recommendations for a future class. If you’re signing in to the Tatting Tuesday group, you’ll get the preview. If you are interested, but not part of the study group, watch the class listings on the Lace Museum website. I hope they’ll be interested in sponsoring a class exploring these fiber options.

6 comments:

  1. Hahaha, you put me in a soup - don't know whether you meant it as a compliment 🤪🤣😉 I think your yarn butterfly has come out pretty neat!!! Of course, for ease of work, use SCMRs instead of true rings (which of course you did by using a needle) if shuttle tatting. This way one can actually use a cotton core thread and stitches can be made with Any kind of fiber 💖

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I meant a compliment. I truly value your blog! You have a wonderful way of talking tatting!!
      I did use the SCMR with the boucle yarn. I wanted to see if I could do true rings with the bamboo. I did, but the core thread moving tried to take the picots out. Whaddya know!!!

      Delete
    2. Interesting and curious!!! Was it because the fibers on picots got caught up while sliding the core thread to close ring?
      Marja has made a lot of beautiful tatting projects with wool and yarns (her blog is in my bloglist if you wish to scroll through - she posts every Sunday)

      Delete
    3. Yes! I enjoy Marja's blog. For some reason Blogger won't keep her blog on my bloglist. Perhaps I should try again (with both of us, Blogger may just behave!
      It was because of the halo of the yarn. Working diligently, I was able to convince everything to stay where it should.

      Delete
  2. Interesting to use different threads. Different effects, different amount of effort required.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always get comments in my classes. I always encourage experimentation. When I teach in person, I try to display some of my experiments for students to examine during break time.

      Delete