Pages

Thursday, February 4, 2021

Creativity

 Recently, I came across a quote I can get behind: “Creativity flourishes not in certainty, but in questions.” Now, if I told you who is quoted, you will immediately have assumptions that I don’t consider relevant to this blog post. Allright, I’ll tell you who later.

Let it suffice to say that the quote spoke to me because I always tell my students, and myself, that if I’m making mistakes, I’m learning. It’s when I make the same mistake repeatedly that I really need to pay attention and correct the mistake.

Part of that process is trying new skills, techniques, and well….ideas.

Another part of that process is repetition.

And the final part is critiquing your creative output. My adventure with the Dissent necklace is still ongoing. I asked for a critique from a highly respected designer. She pinged me on some obvious points. I was a bit embarrassed as I know to finish a piece better than I did. I was just too excited to share my creativity. Other points she made I hadn’t considered. For that I am very grateful. My adventure will continue….

With questions.

3 comments:

  1. The author of the quote: Sue Monk Kidd. From her book When the Heart Waits: spiritual Direction for Life's Sacred Questions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so right! My new post is all about mistakes and fixes that a highly accomplished tatter buddy shared (she said I inspired her to be open about mistakes ;-P) and her take away is Growth.
    Creativity is not a smooth road, but the little bumps make the journey interesting and keep us alert so that we improve. 💕

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, there are mistakes and there are experiments. Hopefully we can learn from both.

    ReplyDelete