Pages

Thursday, April 13, 2023

Reading patterns

 


Today’s task is to prepare for teaching a class/workshop on reading patterns. I’ll be looking at how patterns have been published over the years. I’ll be pointing people to the Antique Pattern Library. How I make notes to follow as I tat a pattern will include browsing the tattered pieces of paper and a glance at mark-up on my tablet. Maybe even how to create a pattern from a finished piece of lace such as this mat.

I’m hoping there will be a student who is well-versed in basic Design Principles and Elements and such. I do not have a visual arts degree. If a student who has that training can add to discussions, it makes the class that much more enjoyable. Bottom line for me as a teacher here: create lace you love. Whether that means you tat free form, tat from verbal instructions, tat from vintage pattern notation, tat from diagrams, my hope is that you tat!

6 comments:

  1. Interesting to explore the different kinds of patterns available now. So many options. The old fashioned pattern can boggle the mind now, but I have used them without translating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found myself translating most patterns. Seems my brain never learns something unless I can restate the information. My preference for published patterns: diagram with stitch counts and text explaining element set up.

      Delete
  2. This can be quite a vast and interesting topic for discussion, especially since videos are preferred to text today. What are those encircled numbers?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Videos explain, but I have to have my notes. I would be watching the video every time I sit down to tat! The encircled numbers are my labeling for joins. This photo is an excerpt from the Pointed Edging pattern. I had to label joins at the join and previous picot to keep on the correct path. I use these notes when the pattern changes directions and joins to previous bits of motifs.

      Delete
  3. Sometimes I just use a sticky note to keep my place in the 'prose' of a vintage pattern and tat it right from the book, and sometimes I do a lot of scribbling on paper. It depends on the pattern. This class sounds like a lot of fun. There is a lot of possility for discussion and everyone should go home with new ideas to try.
    StephanieW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With 2 1/2 hours to teach, I'm hopeful everyone should be able to whatever "beginner " pattern they wish!

      Delete