Pages

Tuesday, April 20, 2021

So what marks do you make?

 Yes, I know that’s a vague question. Last post was about marking your pattern. Many of us make a mark for tatting every time we gift a piece of lace, tat in public, or teach someone to tat. For the record, I meant both meaning of the word mark.

To continue the train of thought begun in that last post, what do I mark?

- Since I’m almost always making a copy, I make sure my photocopy has the designer name, where I located the pattern, the date I’m working the pattern.

- Translate a visual diagram to written notation OR written notation to a rough sketch.

- Picot sizes if joins will be structural.

- Size of thread I’m testing out the pattern with including my estimate of how much thread I’ll need.

- Where I plan to hide my ends.

- Sometimes I’ll even be marking whether I plan to use shuttle or needle.

- As I tat the pattern, I’ll add ideas for beads, correct my guesses for picot size, add color options, and of course: where I need more skill practice.

It doesn’t bother me when patterns are just suggestions and not detailed. I do like to have a detailed diagram if there is no clear photograph. I also like to have more detail when the technique is intermediate or advanced. It does bother me when the pattern has obviously been edited by someone who can’t tat. Remind me to tell you sometime about the organ piece with pedal markings that were just plain wrong: the editor had placed all the marks below the staff, even the marks for using your right foot. Yeah. I’ve been known to cross my feet when pedaling certain passages, but I do use my right foot, thank you!

Next post I promise to present a picture of my newest design: Fantasia. When I think about what I want to do while tatting, I’m always thinking of ways to help people appreciate and even learn about lace (specifically tatting with shuttle AND needle). I invite all tatters out there to make your mark!

No comments:

Post a Comment