Pages

Thursday, July 16, 2020

Preparation is important

I love to teach. Full disclosure, I have little patience for Administrators who tell me how to teach. I get that’s their job, but me thinks they’ve not taught enough. So, I do not teach in a formal school situation often. Experiences when I’m teaching where people don’t “have to” learn are usually my shining moments. Recently, a teacher aide in a more formal situation wondered aloud how I prepare for students I don’t know and have no objective.
Three points: Teach the skill, present the possibilities, and affirm the successes achieved.
Part of that preparation is not being perfect. When I demonstrate how to tat, I talk about several different ways to make the DS. I’ll even use thread or tools that I don’t like to use. I talk about what is logical and readily available. Often, that means I fail to make pretty lace. Not perfect. But, students seem to gain courage from that. They overcome frustration faster and usually succeed in making lace with less stress.

Part of that preparation is samples with mistakes. I usually show pieces I made when learning. One isn’t even finished. The discussion of what is wrong with it usually gets students past seeing their own mistakes to creating more lace. I’ll remind myself aloud that I am my own worst critic. I have a heart I made that is missing a part of the pattern. One “shoulder” is too flat. These make good samples.
Here’s my sample for the upcoming Lace Museum classes:
There are quite a few mistakes in it. It’s not finished. It’ll do just fine. I’m looking forward to affirming the students having success.

3 comments:

  1. Very good perspective and approach and you have actually succeeded!!!
    This is part of the reason I try to share my mistakes and process, too.
    To date, what I consider one of my Most successful class was when I had to change course midways. The Math class students seemed dull, uninterested, till I started asking more basic questions and realised they didn't know basic ratio! I started teaching it and obviously couldn't complete my lesson plan (for which my supervisor slashed my grade) BUT the entire class became so animated and even grateful and I came away Knowing they had understood. And even though I met those students that one time, that experience has stayed with me.
    Always compare only with yourself - have you improved over the last time or not.
    You make a great teacher - you have tremendous patience, and humour. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful story! Too bad the supervisor put you achieving his or her objectives ahead of the class learning. Perhaps the supervisor's boss could be aware of the students' success. (Which is why I advocate for standardized testing. Adults are judged constantly: by children, by bosses, by customers; if a child can't gain the resilience to test, they won't be successful "adulting" and fail in life.)

      Delete
  2. Interesting point that flawed pieces can be more useful samples than perfect ones.

    ReplyDelete