As the Fair gets closer, it’s time to finish entries. Logically, I know the item will
be judged on technique of stitching, tatting, or similar technique. But how you
finish it makes a difference. By finish I mean mount on fabric, starch, frame,
or otherwise prepare for display.
So, tatted lace. How to “finish” a tatted item?????
First off: blocking. Here's a video that I mostly follow.
Let me say most of the time all I do is block
with plain water. No pins, no ironing, no starching. I've found these grids from Stephanie Cervi Designs handy. If the lace has a lot of
beads, I may block it twice. If picots are a part of the design I may spend
time adjusting picots with a pin while damp. If I do starch my lace, I wash the
starch out before storing. But for the most part, I don’t “finish” my tatting.
And most of what I’ve learned about finishing has been at the
EGA chapter meetings. I’ve learned to mount my lace on fabric, lace that fabric
over a piece of foam core, and attach a cord to the edge to complete a project.
I don’t trust myself to frame anything. I’ve never been able to cut a straight
line. I ask for help with that! I value a good “finisher” for my big projects.
It does make a difference.
No comments:
Post a Comment