Pages

Tuesday, November 19, 2019

Orange is happy


Orange is not a color I have gravitated to. I grew up when orange was usually used in psychedelic prints. I also grew up stopping on the way home from school to practice in churches. I didn’t have time to change, so I had to wear “church appropriate” clothes those days. Given my pale Germanic skin and dirty-blond hair, orange wasn’t in my closet much.

As I’ve gotten more familiar with color theory, I’ve dipped my toe into orange. Blue works nicely with orange, there’s lots of blue around here (sky, ocean), so my shuttles have been wound with different orange thread. Taking inspiration from my surroundings has led me to work with all those colors.

I’m getting used to it. It does make me happy to sit down with my shuttles wound in cheery thread!
I’ll snap a picture of Joy in orange after I snack on an orange from our tree. Promise!

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. That reminds me! I've yet to photograph my new earrings!! I hope the sun comes out soon.

      Delete
  2. FireMountain has some really pretty silver-lined orange seed beads. The light orange ones look so cheerful. I've never used much orange, either, but those beads got me started. I remember those long-ago days of stopping on the way home from school to practice in a church, too. :) It was so COLD in the winter months, and dark....and the building made some strange thumps, creaky sounds, and other noises that usually wait to go 'bump' at NIGHT, not in the late afternoon. :) But it was worth it for the music.
    StephanieW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is worth the music to practice! I've learned a tryptich by a new-to-me composer inspired by bird songs. The piece is so new it hasn't been recorded much yet. Perhaps that will be my new project in January. :o

      Delete